The holiday season is just around the corner, and you have so much to look forward to! Whether you’re eager to string lights around your home, listen to festive music, or bake up some of your holiday specials, there’s something exciting for everybody. However, if you have new dentures, you are probably wondering how they will come into play when it comes to your favorite holiday foods. Continue reading to learn which ones to be especially wary of as well as some additional tips.
Holiday Foods to Avoid with Dentures
You are probably looking forward to piling up your plate with all of the delicious festive dishes, but if you have dentures, you may want to think twice about your options. Here are a few foods that you should steer clear of:
- Chewy Meat: Tender meats are a great option, but chewier, tough meat can be a challenge with dentures. This is because they will need to work much harder to break up the food into swallowable pieces. You could end up with instable or dislodged dentures.
- Sticky Sweets: Pecan pie and cranberry sauce may be delicious, but they can both cling to your dentures. This can make it difficult for you to keep them clean. Stay away from foods that may adhere to your restoration.
- Hard Foods: Many dishes, like steamed mixed veggies and mashed potatoes aren’t difficult for your dentures, but raw veggies and nuts would be. Try to pick softer options whenever possible.
How to Enjoy Holiday Foods with Dentures
Here are a couple ways you can more easily enjoy your holiday meals when you have dentures:
- Take Small Bites: As delicious as the food may be, there isn’t a need to take large bites. Take small bites so you are able to chew your food more thoroughly.
- Eat Slowly: Do you tend to get ahead of yourself when feasting on holiday meals? This won’t go very well when you have dentures, especially if you’re still getting used to them. Remember that there isn’t a reason to get your food down as soon as possible. Take your time. This way, your restoration is less likely to suffer.
Dentures shouldn’t get in the way of enjoying your holiday meals! By being especially careful of certain foods and taking all the right precautions, you can munch down on your festive dishes without worrying about damaging your restoration.
About the Author
Dr. Daniel Weldon is an experienced dentist who has been working in the field for over a decade! He earned his Doctor of Dental Medicine from the University of Florida College of Dentistry and has been continuing his education through the world-renowned Spear Education. Currently, he is a proud member of the Florida Dental Association, American Dental Association, American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, and is the past president of the Marion County Dental Association. For more information about dentures or to schedule an appointment at his office in Ocala, visit his website or call (352) 622-3236.